Monday, December 31, 2012

Countdowns

For Christmas this year, I totally surprised my son.  He had been interested in a designer hoodie that was priced at $200. It's too high a price for his or my budget. So, he asked me if I could make one. Well, that was months ago, some time late summer. Just before Thanksgiving, he said "You have all these sewing machines, and you don't use them for sewing."  Man! Nothing like a major meltdown from a kid as a reminder that Christmas was coming quickly.


He didn't know that I had saved the image of that hoodie so that I could copy the pattern. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas while my son was in school, I had my countdown to producing "the hoodie".   Monday-Friday daily for two weeks, 2:30 P.M. became my alarm. I would clean up all materials and vacuum up all the threads. At night, I worked on socks for my dad and daughter. I didn't want a nosy kid discovering my gift to him.


On Christmas, he opened a huge box with a pattern sitting on top of tissue paper, under that was "the hoodie". My son looked at the pattern in total  surprise. A "what's this" look came over his face. I told him to look under the tissue. An astonished kid stated, " And here I thought you were just knitting socks all this time. I thought you were the slowest knitter...which would make for the most expensive socks."




















Yes, I'm not the fastest knitter, but who really cares since it's my time, my countdown.

With that, I leave you with a countdown that I can't control, a new year.
Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!  May 2013 be peaceful, healthy, and prosperous for all.






4 comments:

  1. You are the best! I love the story.(most expensive socks....haha) That is a great hoodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! What is it made of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this to my hubby for our 20th Anniversary. I made him a quilt, and the kids helped me to keep it hidden until it was done. He thought I wasn't quilting because I'd had hand surgery, but, the hand quilting on his quilt was my best therapy. Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! The fabric is a valour. Cheryl, I would have never known that hand quilting would be great therapy.

    ReplyDelete