Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Mink

Five years ago, I picked up the vintage mink collar at a second hand store for $25 while shopping with my daughter.  I pictured a jean coat with a mink collar that I thought I would quickly sew that autumn, but that never happened. This month while organizing my fabric closet, I came across all the material for the coat project and decided it was now or never to make this garment a reality.


It's cute, it's done, and I'm ready to retire to just focusing on making quilts.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I made myself a denim long coat back in the 70's that I wore for years and years--along the same lines as yours, but without a vintage animal. I think mine did have a hood. I look at clothes in the stores and remind myself that one of these days I may have to return to sewing clothing instead of quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I figured since it is vintage mink it would be okay to recycle into a coat. Since the weather is warming up, I most likely will not be wearing it much until autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is that its head on the right? I can remember being in church, a long long time ago, totally fascinated at the woman in front of me with her fox headed stole. really entertaining for a kid! I just wanted to touch it but was afraid. I am sure your fur is so much softer. Great idea for the recycled little mink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no head. Eeks! I would never purchase a fur with a head to it. You are funny, a head, that's totally gross. The fur is very soft though and in very good condition.

    ReplyDelete